Getting an Account§
We have a single simplified application process for access to our internal UCL clusters: Legion, Myriad, and Grace. These are available to all UCL researcher staff, and available to research students upon sponsorship by an appropriate member of UCL staff. (See application process below.)
Use of these services is subject to a common set of terms and conditions.
The online application form can be found here:
- User account application form (UCL login required via Shibboleth)
We also run clusters that serve particular user groups including users from outside UCL. For information about applying for accounts on those resources, please see their information pages:
If you are a student or postdoctoral researcher, your application must be approved by a permanent member of staff (normally your supervisor or PI). You will need to enter the UCL username (e.g. ccaaxyz, not the UPI) of this sponsor in the application form, and an email will be sent to this person asking them to approve the application before the account can be created.
Permanent members of staff do not need a sponsor and their accounts will be automatically approved.
You and your sponsor will need a central UCL username and password. For most people, this is the account they use to access their UCL email.
The application process then runs as follows:
- Enter your UCL userid and password to access the application form.
- Complete the application form, reading the instructions carefully. Tip: Hover your mouse over text boxes for more information.
- Upon completion, your nominated sponsor will receive an email asking for the application to be approved. (If they do not receive this, contact email@example.com). If you do not require a sponsor, your account will be automatically approved.
- Your sponsor should click on the link in the email and approve the account.
- You will receive an email when your account is approved if you have a sponsor.
- You should receive an email once we have created your account. Please note that there may be a delay of up to one working day between an application being approved and it being created.
If your sponsor does not receive the email, you can send them the link to your application directly (which will look like https://signup.rc.ucl.ac.uk/computing/requests/0000).
Accounts for visitors§
Applications for UCL visitors to use Research Computing services are welcomed. Please note that:
- Applicants must have a central UCL account. Queries about how to obtain a UCL account for visitors should be addressed, in the first instance, to your Departmental Administrator.
- Account applications should specify the UCL grant under which the work is being carried out, if possible, as well as an associated UCL group or researcher.
- Account applications may not be submitted on behalf of another except to cover accessibility requirements, as the account application process includes agreeing to relevant legal terms and conditions.
Accounts for honorary staff§
UCL Staff Members may sponsor Honorary members (named individuals) to be provided with access to Research Computing services where this is beneficial to UCL’s research interests.
This application process is identical to the process above for students and non-permanent staff.
All accounts thus provided are subject to all other ‘standard’ terms and conditions relating to their use of Research Computing services.
Charges for use of research computing services§
No direct charges are currently applicable for non-exceptional use of any Research Computing services in accordance with standard resource allocation policy as defined by the Computational Resource Allocation Group (CRAG).
Several methods are available to researchers who wish to gain access to additional resources, or obtain 'priority' use, including chargeable options. Details are available here.